Thursday, March 21, 2013

On a Skirt for Spring and Making a Scalloped Waistband

Over the past several months I seem to have been sewing up a storm of spring and summer clothes. And this past week, after finishing a 1950’s sundress, I decided I would revisit Simplicity pattern 3773 for a third time, using some wonderfully lovely cherry blossom print I bought a few months ago. As some of you will remember, this was the pattern I wrote about improvising last summer here. Well, once again I did not have enough fabric (this print was subtly one directional, which I didn’t notice when I bought it) and went through that process again. Then I decided that I wasn’t going to use a zipper or snaps for the side opening, but that I was going to use buttons and hand-stitch the holes.

I didn’t have enough printed fabric for the waistband, so I went with green and while I was at it decided that I wanted a scalloped waistband not a straight one as the pattern called for. Having never done a scalloped waistband and owning no patterns with one, I sat down at the computer to do some research and found almost nothing of any help. I remembered several other bloggers having either worn or made skirts with the scallop in front, so I searched for a few of those pictures to use as a reference and went to work drafting my own pattern piece.

First, I measured a piece of tissue paper to match the length of the original waistband. For the width, I made it a bit wider than the original because I wanted to allow room for the arches on scallop, in addition to the fact that I wanted a slightly wider band anyway.
(Click to Expand)
On the original pattern the center line is marked, which I transferred to mine so I would know where the dip of the scallop should go. I also marked the seam allowance at the bottom. Next I sketched out half the scallop to one side of the center line. Then I folded the piece in half on the center line and traced the other side, which gave me matching arches. Having done that, I went around the top edge and marked the seam allowance. 


Next I cut out two pieces, stitched them together along the top (NOT the bottom or sides), and clipped the curves. While I don’t know if it was really necessary, I added interfacing to the scallop so it would lay flat instead of flopping forward.
 
After that I followed the pattern instructions for attaching it to the skirt.
(While this is not a terribly wonderful set of instructions, if know of anyone else who might find this helpful, feel free to share the link)
Of course, now having a scalloped waistband, I wanted scalloped pockets! (Just think of it as If You Give a Mouse a Cookie sewing project) I drafted another pattern, made bias tape out of the same green fabric I used on the waistband for the curves, and sewed them on. Finally, I made more bias tape for the hem and…viola, finished skirt!   



Happy Spring!



4 comments:

  1. That looks absolutely lovely, Inky! :) You look so very happy in that last photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! After taking I don't know how many photos, I finally figured out how to stand where the buttons would be visible and I wouldn't be at a weird angle, so I was quite happy. :)

      Delete
  2. What a terrifically lovely skirt! You did an awesome job here and look as pretty as can be in your new floral print, scalloped waist dream of a creation.

    Happiest Easter weekend wishes!
    ♥ Jessica

    *PS* Adorable reference to If You Give A Mouse A Cookie. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I just couldn't resist adding that reference. :)

      Delete

Happy to hear what you think...