Friday, March 31, 2017

On "Ms. Rapscott's Girls": A Book Review

 Title: Ms. Rapscott's Girls
Author: Elise Primavera
Genre: Fiction, Children’s

About the book…

Some parents are very busy, so busy they forget to teach their children things like how to brush their teeth, or what birthday cake is, or how to climb a tree. The five busiest parents in the world especially have this problem and lucky for their five daughters, there’s the Great Rapscott School for the Daughters of Busy Parents run by Ms. Rapscott. Arriving in boxes on the wind, the new students arrive at the lighthouse the school is housed in never guessing all the new and usual things they’ll be learning on their adventures.

What I think…

I loved this book. It’s like reading The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie toned down for kids and with lots of whimsy, with a bit of Roald Dahl and multiple other fantastical classic children’s nannies and teachers mixed in.

The characters were funny and unusual. It was well written with seamless transitions into the more fantastical parts that made things like riding on the wind or getting to the mountains through a freezer in a very large ice cream parlor where it’s beginning to storm seem perfectly normal everyday activities.


It also had charming illustrations. Plus who doesn’t love a magical teacher who has corgis named Lewis and Clark as assistants!


To sum it all up…

Wonderful children’s book (with an equally as wonderful sequel), which I highly, highly, highly recommend.

4 comments:

  1. This sounds good!!!! I love children's books and am rather surprised I've never heard of this one!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised I had missed it when it came out in 2015 especially since I like this author's picture books. Now I'm really hoping she'll write another one to go with the first two!

      Delete
    2. Checked it out today and just finished reading it! I'm so glad you wrote this post as I love books like this. Now to get the sequel!!

      Have you ever read "Jane's Adventures In and Out of the Book" by Jonathan Gathorne-Hardy? It's along the same vein as this book and one of my favorites :)

      Delete
    3. I'm so glad you read and liked it (I think you're the first to mention actually having read one of the books after reading my review)! I might be reviewing a few more children's books in coming months, so it's nice to know I've got a receptive audience. :)

      I don't think I've read that one, although when I looked up the author a few of his other books looked and sounded really familiar especially the one about the airship. I will definitely have to give it a try!

      Delete

Happy to hear what you think...