Thursday, May 22, 2014

On (Finally) Finishing My Overalls


My overalls from the Wearing History pattern are finally finished and I’m so happy with them!

These turned out to be a more challenging project than I expected. First, I experienced problems with the trouser waistline being bigger than the waistband. While this happened when I made my muslin, I just brushed it off thinking it was because I hadn’t been overly concerned with making perfect darts/tucks on the trouser pieces…last time I make that sort of assumption! As this was my first time using a pdf pattern, I either managed to print it on the wrong setting or, more likely, pieced it together wrong. To fix this I ended up having to take both side seams in a ¼ of an inch and adjust the darts a little.
With an old straw hat I'd fit in quite nicely at Sunnybrook Farm.

I also had an issue with the back bodice not fitting against my back and pulling outward to create a gap, which was something I expected. I eyeballed the measurement for two darts going downward from the top and it miraculously worked out perfectly.
A few inches to the left and right of the straps you can see the two darts, which I top stitched for some reason
I found some lovely blue fabric for the pocket lining. (I bought more for a matching blouse!)

And here are my beautiful (and some not so beautiful) button holes on the side. I had the dilemma of being one button short for the ones I wanted to use, so I ended up finding these on Etsy and have plenty more left to use on something else.   

These overalls are probably one of the most comfortable things I have made so far and I know that in cooler weather I’ll be wearing them often. Plus they’re perfect for pie baking!
 

2 comments:

  1. Wow, they are wonderful!!! I want that pattern so much, but I'm so far from sewing them. :-( I don't know if I'll ever become a seamstress. And yay for pie!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely adore them, I'm just sorry that soon it will be be too hot to wear them. The more you sew the better you get. :) If someone had have told me three years ago that I'd be making overalls, I probably would have laughed my head off, so you never know where certain hobbies will go.

      Delete

Happy to hear what you think...