Sunday, May 4, 2014

On It’s Alice in Wonderland Day!


For those who are fans of Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, a very happy Alice in Wonderland Day to you! Today marks the birthday of the real Alice, Alice Liddell Hargreaves, as well as the day the story takes place. In honor of this, I decided a post dedicated to some of the Alice themed sewing I’ve done over the years was in order.
 
A little Wonderland whimsy
 About 3 years ago, I came across some Alice in Wonderland patterns on another blog from the November 1965 edition of Woman’s Day and, while I prefer not to use patterns when making stuffed animals, I knew that I had to get my hands on this magazine. In one of those rare cases where you find exactly what you’re looking for and at a reasonable price, I was able to find a copy and shortly after it arrived in the mail I set about making Alice. 




There was a lot more to making her than I expected based on the fact that in addition to her dress, pinafore, and shoes, she also has a petticoat and underpants. I had a lot of fun learning about the construction of doll clothes, though! 

A few months after, I decided to make the Dormouse. Instead of using the dark orange velveteen as recommended, I went with orange flannel. I’m a little regretful of this decision as he’s awfully…orange. I kind of wish I would have chosen brown, but I do love him despite his orange-ness, and he lives atop a bookshelf in my bedroom.
 
"The Dormouse had closed its eyes by this time, and was going off into a doze..."
Finally, there’s my White Rabbit and my “Eat Me” pillow (see first picture). The White Rabbit I made about seven years ago. I didn’t have a pattern, so I made my own based off of the John Tenniel illustration of him and sewed him entirely by hand. Of all the stuffed animals I’ve made he is probably my favorite.  A year later I made the pillow to look like one of the cakes Alice eats in chapter one. 


And thus concludes some of the Wonderland sewing I’ve done so far! For some reason I never made the Hatter or the March Hare from the magazine and there are a couple of other things I began and never finished, but I think it’s about time I started thinking about them again!

2 comments:

  1. Oh no! I was soooo busy with shop related going ons that I completely forgot about Alice Day this year. Yikes! I think I know what the Red Queen would say should happen to my head for doing so! :) I'll just have to celebrate doubly hard next year to make up for it.

    Big hugs,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty close to forgetting it myself, which was funny because I had thought about it a few days earlier. Either that or you'll have to have an Un-Alice in Wonderland day! :)

      Delete

Happy to hear what you think...