Thursday, February 4, 2016

On "Whooo loves this bag?"

I'm getting back to sewing being a regular part of my routine again! Yay! 

You all probably feel as shocked as this carved spool I picked up at the swap meet a few weeks ago, since I haven't had a sewing post since July.
The "How could I have sewn the waistband on the wrong direction AGAIN?" look.
Cool spool aside...About two weeks ago, I decided I needed a small bag with a zipper. As usual I made this decision the day before I needed it. 

In December, I made my first zipper pouch as a gift for someone and I had some issues with both the insertion of the zipper and then it getting caught in the fabric, so I approached this bag with some concern. 

After doing some research, I came across several tutorials where you attach a piece of fabric at each end of the zipper so that you have a fabric tab at each end instead of just the zipper. This worked marvelously and was soooo much better than trying to deal with directly sewing the zipper to the fabric. It also meant no unpicking, so a big win with me! That detail aside, this bag was pretty straightforward being the type where you sew everything together and pull it right side out through a hole in the lining. 
I was extremely pleased that I didn't need to go out and get anything for this. The cute owl nesting doll fabric I used, a David Textiles print, was leftover from what is currently an un-hemmed 60's dress that first it got to too hot for and now it's too cold. The bright green lining is also leftover from two other projects, as is the black and other colors. The neon green zipper I got in an assorted zipper bunch a couple of years ago and has just been languishing away since 40's and 50's sewing doesn't involve neon colors.  


I seem to have an addiction to putting detailing on my pockets and because unlike almost every other bag I've made over the past ten years this one isn't reversible and only has two pockets, I decided this pocket need everything. Bias tape trim, embroidery, a button, and a contrasting color on the inside of the flap! Who doesn't like a pretty pocket?
Blurry photo due to downloading issues. Sorry.

It's been awhile since I've done a fabric strap and due to finishing the morning I intended to use it, I just went with a simple back and forth straight stitch. Dependent on how well the fabric does I might change this later, but for now, given the size of the bag, I'm just going to leave it. 
 

2 comments:

  1. That really is one of the cutest and most smile-inducingly sweet fabrics of all-time. Wonderful work on your new bag. It looks roomy, comfy and adorable.

    Big hugs,
    ♥ Jessica

    *PS* Love your matching coloured hearts at the end of the post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This seems to be one of those fabrics that never runs out and for once I'm happy about it!

      Delete

Happy to hear what you think...