Saturday, August 13, 2016

On Seeing Spots and a Pig

I made this skirt in 2013 and I think it’s about time to share it!

While I like this skirt (made from my favorite Simplicity 3773), I have a hard time finding blouses to pair it with that aren’t too jarring a contrast in color or that make me feel like I’m an Easter egg or that I’m wearing something better suited to a child. That being said, I’ve pretty much limited myself to white and black tops with it and haven't worn it all that often.

A few weeks ago, though, it occurred to me while doing laundry that my cream colored Alice and the pig baby t-shirt is a good match for this skirt, giving me a whole new outfit option. One that I'm quite pleased with since the shirt lacks the normal amount of t-shirt stretchiness and pulls upward more often, meaning something with a high waist is always better.

I don't remember too many details about making this. I know I had a smaller amount of fabric since the front middle panel is made up of three separate pieces and I don't have any large fabric scraps left from it.

For the pockets, I used the wonderful Tasha’s, of By Gum, By Golly, interchangeable pocket flap tutorial. I had plans to make more flaps, but never did, I think primarily because of the same color issue I face with finding a matching blouse and not having enough of the right size snaps. Looking at it now, I think it might be time to make some additional flaps in black or navy blue.

I'm pretty happy to find my Alice shirt works so well with this skirt and can't wait to start wearing them together more often

♥ ♥ ♥

4 comments:

  1. What a cute outfit!! Loving the Alice shirt!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This was the first Alice shirt I got in a set of ones with the original illustrations. :)

      Delete
  2. So true about large expanses of certain shades of pink (and purple). I've had that same Easter egg related thought before, too. You navigated around that risk wonderfully here and have put together such a charming outfit.

    Many hugs & happy tail end of August wishes,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Personally, I think that pink and purple are two of the hardest colors to come up with outfits for as an adult, but then again when you get the perfect outfit put together it's all the more satisfying.

      Thank you for both your sweet comments this week!

      Delete

Happy to hear what you think...