Thursday, October 23, 2014

On Some Pretty Aprons and a Bit of Embroidery


Recently I was kindly given some vintage patterns and along with them a small handful of The Workbasket magazines from the 40's and early 50's. While I was hesitant to accept the magazines at first, based on some silly notion that they were primarily about crocheting (clearly I had never really looked at the copy I've had for over a year), I'm really glad that I did and am thoroughly delighted with them, especially with the catalog that was in with them!

Continuing on the streak of being unpleasantly busy and having a disinclination to write at the moment, I thought for this week I would share some pictures of some of the pretty and novelty aprons that I found when flipping through the copy of Aunt Ellen's Complete Book of Needlework catalog for 1949-50.

I'm glad times have changed and we don't find aprons like the last set acceptable anymore.  
You too could have a set of doilies to match your apron!
I adore how unique all the aprons on this page are! And especially love the Party Tie Apron!

And from the January 1952 issue (also known as the issue I've been ignoring for far too long), here's a wonderful idea sent in by one of the readers on making an apron out of handkerchiefs.

And finally, just because I feel like it and because it could very easily belong on an apron,  here's a picture of the teacup I embroidered last weekend when I had a little spare time.

♥ ♥ ♥

6 comments:

  1. Interesting apron collection. I am highly amused by the nautical and nice one, I can't imagine wearing it for cooking, all that work to make it to just get it dirty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'd have to say that one is the most unique of the bunch. I agree, it would be hard to wear it after the amount of time it would take to make it and for some reason I just can't picture wearing it as a hostess apron either.

      Thank you for your comment!

      Delete
  2. Vintage magazines, catalogs, and the such is wonderful way to get a look into the lives of people 60-70 years ago. I agree, I'm thankful that last one of the first set is no longer socially acceptable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They most certainly are, I love what we learn by looking through them!

      Delete
  3. How splendidly lovely! This post instantly reminds me of an apron that my mom made for a dear elderly neighbour when I was a little girl. This woman, Eunice, was from the UK, but had been living in Canada for many years. She remained here for quite some time after her husband past, but decided to go back for a while (she eventually returned to Canada as her son and his family were here). Before she did, my mom handmade her an apron with cute little fruit embroidered on it to symbol the many different types of fruit that grow here in the Okanagan. It was such a thoughtful, lovely gift and I'll never forget how happy my mom was making it and Eunice was upon receiving it.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a sweet story! It sounds like a thoroughly lovely and thoughtful gift that anyone would be glad to receive.

      Delete

Happy to hear what you think...