Saturday, November 15, 2014

On My Book Skirt from Last November


I have a handful of things I’ve sewn over the past two years that for some reason or other haven’t made it up on my blog (including my most favorite dress ever) and I figured since it’s now been almost precisely a year since I made it, it’s about time I shared my book skirt. 

Like the Venice dress, this is a David Textiles reproduction print from the Victoria and Albert Museum, in this case having been off of a 1954 furnishing fabric by Jacqueline Groag.


I had a very limited amount of this fabric to work with, so, no surprise to those who’ve been following awhile, I turned to Simplicity 3773 (Really, I do sew more than just this pattern!). It was quite a challenge to get all the pieces to fit, but I did it and only had to do matching on one panel. Things even worked in my favor and I was able to match the design almost perfectly.
Almost a perfect match! So close that I had difficulty determining if I was taking a pic of the right section.



While I’ve worn it a few times, I only have this one picture. 
Just in case anyone is wondering, no, I don't normally sit on the tables at work.
I had made a light pink blouse to go with it, but as a result of sewing the buttons on further over than I should have and making an interfacing mistake, it was a little too big. However, I have found that I love pairing my magenta blouse with it and I was certainly glad it matched so well!

4 comments:

  1. Eeep! I love this skirt to no end! No shocker there. I am no good at sewing except for altering as in hems or mending holes, but to sew a skirt, I am inept. :( I'll live out my sewing dreams in you and of course this skirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't the print the greatest? Just looking at it makes me happy! You should have seen me trying to make my first skirt using a pattern...I couldn't figure out how the pieces (all two of them) needed be put on the fabric, which embarrassingly brought me to tears and it left such an impression I still refer to it as the cursed polk-a-dot skirt. Awww, you're so sweet!

      Delete
  2. Oh my word, I am head-over-heels in love with that awesome skirt. I swear, if you hadn't said that you had a very limited about of that fabric to work with, I was going to be rather bold and ask if there was any way I could commission you to make one for me. If you ever come across more of that fabric and would be keen on doing such a thing, please let me know because I would be a customer in a heartbeat, dear gal.

    Tons of hugs & happy Thursday wishes,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, I'd love to make you a skirt (even just as gift). If I ever come across any more I will certainly let you know, although I've been looking since I've found this yardage and I haven't seen it anywhere (including online)...probably because it's older and because it's such a cute print.

      Delete

Happy to hear what you think...