Friday, July 3, 2015

On My Favorite Dress

Continuing with my plan to share some of my sewing projects that hadn't made it up yet and because I don't have anything recently sewn that I want to share just right now, I thought it was the perfect time to share my favorite dress. 

This dress was made off of a Anne Adams mail order pattern that I was given by a neighbor's daughter (and turned out to have belonged to another neighbor originally). The pattern gives options for sleeveless, short sleeve, and three quarter sleeves. The best things about it, in my opinion, are the wide collar and the front pleats!

It is probably the best fitting dress out of all the ones I've made so far. It was also the first dress I did a lapped zipper on, had to put bias tape on the sleeves, and learn how to do a hem when pleats are involved. I opted not to use a buckle on the belt, instead choosing to make a fabric loop to pull the end of the belt through and then add a bow.

Like the skirt I mentioned in my last sewing post this has the potential for being dressed up or down. Because Independence Day is this week, I went with a more patriotic theme and topped it off with a hankie that belonged to my grandma in my hair. 

If I can find the right type of fabric, meaning if I can figure out what the unidentified and wonderful fabric I used for the skirt is, I would really like to make a second dress using this fabric as the bodice.
♥ ♥

6 comments:

  1. The big shawl collar is just amazing!!! I'm such a huge fan of that style. What a pretty, feminine, fantastic dress. I can so see why it's a hard core favourite of yours. Plus red is just amazing on you - I think (as it is mine) it should be one of your signature colours as well.

    Oodles of hugs & joyful 4th of July wishes,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly would consider it one of my signature colors, in fact so much so that I don't think there is any area in my wardrobe from accessories to actual garments that lacks in something red. I don't get to sew with it as much as I'd like, though, since it's hard for me to find fabrics that are a more of a red-red than an orange-red that I like.

      Delete
  2. Love the bow at the waist instead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I tried it with the buckle and it just didn't look right, but the bow worked perfectly.

      Delete
  3. Oh, you are so cute!! I love the hair scarf, is that a hair scarf, it ties in so well with the patriotic theme.

    ReplyDelete

Happy to hear what you think...