Friday, September 28, 2018

On a Delighfully Crabby Shirt

A little belated in posting...I didn't get all that much sewing done this summer, but I did manage to fit in one beach themed shirt before the summer reached it's end. 
When I found this cute crab print I instantly knew I it had to be used to make Simplicity 3223 from 1950.


Working with this pattern proved to be quite interesting, since everything you would normally fold inside the shirt as facing was folded to the outside and top stitched meaning that I really needed to be careful about things being just so. The curves on the armholes and the neck were a pain because of it, but, overall, they don't look too bad, in part I think due to the material being just busy enough to allow for tiny mistakes to go unnoticed. 

The one exception to the facings ending up on the right side was with the plackets. After machine stitching hems on the sides, I hand stitched them to the shirt and think I did such a nice job on them that I'm subjecting you to a picture of one of them. 


I did end up taking the time to get a near perfect print match on the pockets and while I tried on the button part it was cut at a slight angle, which only allowed for getting close to matching (very happy with it, though!).  


I also ended up having the perfect vintage buttons for this! Because I don't have high waist shorts to match at the moment, I ended up having to add a snap at the bottom due to lack of any more buttons. 


Of course, one needs a matching hair scarf and, as a finishing touch, I added a rope belt I've had taking up space in my trims box to get the perfect beachcomber look.



♥️♥️♥️

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I've had that rope for ages, so I was really happy to finally be able to use it on something and free up some space in the box it was in!

      Delete
  2. Nicely done, milady! Those plackets are the bomb, as well as the pattern matching on the pocket!

    ReplyDelete

Happy to hear what you think...