Sunday, February 21, 2021

On Some Paper Pleating

Despite having a number of posts in draft state, I haven't really felt like posting lately, but I wanted to share pictures of something new I learned how to do this week.

Over the past few days I attended the free virtual conference Form & Function From Afar being held by Book Paper Thread, which focuses on paper and book arts. It consisted of nine presentations (three per day), along with multiple discussion areas, including places to share tips, discuss the presentations, and a virtual book sale (which featured some gorgeous and whimsical artist books!).

On the second day, I attended an interactive webinar called "Cut Pleat Twist" given by Gina Pisello, which walked us through the steps of a basic project using an 8 1/2 x 11 paper. While I had seen things here and there in relation to the particular method shown, I had yet to actually try it and, having found it to be fairly quick and easy to do (and that it nicely complements my origami and kirigami skills), I have to say I'm now imagining all sorts of possibilities of how to use it in making artist books and cards! 

Anyway, that being said, after a little bit of experimenting with magazine pages to make sure I understood how to get the right part of the paper as the "outer frame" portion, these are my first attempts at doing something more artsy with the technique. 

I cut a 12 x 12 piece of one-sided scrapbook paper down to fit in the printer, selected a few images from The Floral Magazine (1861) on the Internet Archive to print on the blank side, and then cut it in half to make two tiny folded papers. For the larger one, I used images from the same book, but just printed it two sided. 

After I finished folding them, I used decorative scissors to to trim the edges of the small ones and added leaves sticking out the folds. For the large one, since I the cuts I made when doing the folding ended up looking a bit like a shield, I cut the ends to be pointed in the center and then used one of the cut pieces along the top. 

Front

Back
 
As a side note, the presentations were recorded and, while currently only on the conference site, are supposed to eventually be viewable on the Book Paper Thread youtube channel. I will update this post with the link to the webinar for this when it becomes available for those interested.

2 comments:

  1. What a captivating technique. It feels a bit like the love child of basket weaving and origami. ๐Ÿ˜„ Your examples are so pretty and really highlight just what an eye-catching folding approach this is. TYFS, dear Inky!

    Autumn Zenith ๐Ÿงก Witchcrafted Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that's such a good way to put it! Thank you for your sweet comment, I'm really looking forward to experimenting more with this technique later and seeing what else I can come up with.

      Delete

Happy to hear what you think...