Monday, October 10, 2022

On Making Autumn Decorations!

I was in the mood for some autumn crafting a few weeks ago and am just now getting around to sharing! 

First, we have Grenadine the ladybug's new and tipsy friend, Schnapps the spider! He was a rather quick project involving felt, chenille yarn, and green floral stem wire painted with black nail polish. The nail polish has reached the more gunky point and it ended up giving the legs a little texture in addition to leaving some of the green showing through, which I was not going for, but ended up liking. 

Two hand sewn bugs. In the background a ladybug and in the foreground a spider.

Next was a much bigger undertaking. I've had a roll of gold mesh (the type used to wrap plastic flower pots at Christmas or in the Spring to make them more decorative) sitting around that I've never been entirely sure how to use outside of having the nightmare idea of gluing it to construction paper for a shiny gold texture to make lion valentines a few years ago. 

So I started with some simple bows tied with brown yarn to decorate at work. Then I figured I had so much on the roll why not make bigger bows and went on an artificial flower and plant buying spree. Three hours of hot glue, poking myself on flower wires, and some not exactly "pumpkin" scented pinecones and I ended up with some very pretty hanging decorations to give to a few friends and acquaintances.   

Three bows made of gold mesh, embelished with fake leaves and flowers and pinecones.

A large gold mesh bow decorated with fake flowers and leaves.
Given that we're only a little into autumn and at the rate I'm coming up with ideas, I imagine there will be at least a part two to this post. Anyone else starting in on autumn crafting?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy to hear what you think...