Friday, December 30, 2022

On "Some of Me": A Book Review

Title: Some of Me
Author: Isabella Rossellini
Genre: Autobiography

About the Book...

Isabella Rossellini's reflections on her family, modeling, acting, and living life.

What I think...

I picked this up with the intention of just wanting to read the portions about Ingrid Bergman, as I've only seen one movie with Isabella Rossellini for a film class, but found myself so thoroughly enjoying the beginning of the book that I just kept reading and managed to finish in a couple of sittings.

I like how real and relaxed Rossellini comes across in her writing. This isn't what I'd call a serious biography and, while it's broken into categories, I wouldn't describe it as being a linear autobiography either, primarily due to all the musing she does. It's more a series of reflections in vignette form. 

She's very funny and witty, bluntly stating that she will lie about certain things she tells us (and then promptly admits to having lied after she does so) and teasing the reader with various stories about family and the unique things she grew up with. It interestingly contained conversations that she imagined having with dead relatives (her mother and father, more often than not) on various topics, which allows her to provide a nuanced and amusing perspective on certain topics.

Less interesting to me, but still interesting none-the-less, were the stories about her work in modeling and acting. Some of it was a little candid for my taste, but I appreciated that she tried to be real about some of the more serious matters in her life.  

To sum it all up...
A pleasant and interesting read that had me promptly adding her other book about raising chickens to my to-read-in-the-future list!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy to hear what you think...