Friday, April 26, 2013

On Upcoming Sewing Plans and Ideas

With warmer weather headed our way, lately I have been very happily perusing vintage summer wear patterns and, to my great delight, earlier this month happened upon a wonderfully inexpensive 1956 McCall’s 3732 blouse set pattern. As you can see from the photograph there are three different versions, all of which I am eager to make: back buttoning with a tab in front, front buttoning with pointed collar, and front buttoning with a peter pan collar.

As you can also see, I have some fabrics picked out for my marvelous pattern. The red heart print was originally planned for another blouse pattern, but I think it is much better suited for this one. I also wanted to use the yellow fabric for another blouse (photo to come soon) only to find that there wasn’t quite enough. As for the pinkish-purple fabric…it’s a reproduction mid-century modern print from the Victoria and Albert Museum! This was a surprise to me as I rarely look at the names on the selvage when I’m in the store and what a pleasant one it was at that for me to have chosen it with a 50’s blouse in mind! Unfortunately, as to what exactly in the museum the print was based on there is no indication either on the fabric or anywhere I’ve looked online, although I intend to keep searching since I would certainly love to know.

At the same time I bought the 50’s reproduction fabric I also bought these three.
The green floral print I actually already had some of, but not quite enough to make a complete clothing item from, so hopefully now I have at least the amount necessary for a simple skirt or maybe a even a jumper. Then there’s the red, white, and blue flower print that I think I might use for a 60’s sleeveless blouse if I can get through the process of grading down a pattern size. The cherry print, on the other hand, I cannot make up my mind about. Having only bought three yards of it and it being rather thin, I am a bit limited as to what I can do with it and because of that I do want to make sure I pick something I’ll absolutely love. First I thought I might make it into one of the blouses from the above pattern. Then I decided that it might look cute if I used it for something with slightly puffed sleeves (Combine the blouse pattern with my McCall's shirtwaist dress pattern sleeve, perhaps?). A playsuit also crossed my mind, once again, though, the fabric is a bit thin and probably would be better suited for just a top.  So many options! It just seems to be one of those prints with a lot of possibilities that I would happily use for about half the vintage patterns I own!

Anyway, in the coming months you will certainly be seeing some blouses popping up in my sewing posts and, if I can ever decide on what I want to make, a cherry print something-or-other.

2 comments:

  1. All of those fabrics are absolutely lovely - I'm nothing short of smitten with the floral - I just adore when flowers are sprinkled across coloured backgrounds like that.

    Happy sewing, dear gal!
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've come across a few similar florals, but this one really stood out among them for me...it just seems to have the absolute perfect color combination.

      Thank you!

      Delete

Happy to hear what you think...