Friday, December 20, 2013

On Making Vintage Fabric Scrap Lollipop Ornaments

Welcome to the second half of my ornament making tutorials, which I’ve had typed for a week and just couldn’t seem to get the pictures taken for! Along with the trees in the last post, were also this collection of fabric scrap lollipops (or as I like to call them, my fabric swatch collection of unattainable fabrics. :) ) What I like about these is that they’re super simple and they can be made quickly!
 
Supplies
² Small styrofoam balls (1 ¼ in diameter for this size)*

² Fabric scraps that can be cut into squares

² Pinking shears

² Rounded thin wooden sticks or the lollipop sticks you can find in the baking section of the craft store. (5 ½ inches long is a good length)

² Ribbon (or yarn or string…anything that will tie)

² Christmas tree hooks

² Glue (optional)
*Note: One of the lollipops I have was tied with a twisty tie, so I decided to replace it with a ribbon. Upon removing the fabric I discovered that it had been made, unlike most of the others, with a slightly smashed up silk ball ornament and since I’m lacking in a styrofoam ball to use for this, this is what you’ll be seeing in the photos.

1. To create the lollipop, take the stick (dip the end in glue if you want it stay in firmly) and push it into the styrofoam ball.

2. Using your pinking shears cut your fabric into a square that is at least 6 ¼ inch on each side. It doesn’t have to be a perfect square, but you do want to make sure that when you put the fabric over the ball that the ends won’t be too short to be tied down.

Yes, I know this is not a square. This is the original fabric from this ornament and that's how big it is.
3. Fold the square in half placing the lollipop piece in the center and match the open edges at the bottom. Gather the fabric to the stick and tie with your ribbon. 

Edges matched up!
4. Place a Christmas tree hook through the ribbon and viola, you’re done!
A sweet addition for your tree!

2 comments:

  1. I wish I was that crafty. Of course we only use a ceramic Christmas tree. My Grama made all kinds of cute ornaments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My grandma, who made these, wasn't super crafty either, so I betcha you're lot more crafty than you think. :) Ceramic Christmas trees are so pretty! Don't you just love having or remembering ornaments family members made?

      Delete

Happy to hear what you think...