Tuesday, December 31, 2013

On Staying Awake Until Midnight

On New Year’s Eve it can sometimes prove difficult to stay awake until midnight. One starts out fully alert, but as the night wears on, it becomes harder and harder to stay awake. Suddenly it seem as though every night one had failed to fall asleep quickly throughout the year has caught up with one all at once. A valiant effort not to give into this must be made. However, this is easier said than done and shortly after this resolution has been made, yawning commences. First, one tries to ignore that they need to yawn, which then turns into an attempt to stifle it. Stifling doesn’t work and one finds themselves giving in to a continuous amount of yawning. Finally, just as one thinks they cannot possibly keep their eyes open a second longer, the clock strikes twelve, bringing with it happy New Year’s noises and bringing one back to the point of being fully awake and ready to face the new year!

A happy new year to come!

4 comments:

  1. I was able to stay up well past midnight this year and enjoyed a bottle of aldi's finest sparkling juice. :-P

    Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year! That sounds delightful, usually we have sparkling cider, but this year we didn't for some reason.

      I was having such a hard time staying awake when I wrote this post...I think it was about 9:30 when I finally decided I was too tired and had to go to bed. :)

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful, wonderfully written account of a situation most of us have found ourselves in at least once or two over the years. I've got either a really bad cold (with migraine) or mild to moderate flu, so I was up at midnight because of that. Even feeling under the weather though, it was really lovely to ring in the New Year (Annie's First) again at long last.

    Wishing you a blissful 2014, darling gal!
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, there was some definite yawning on my part as I was writing it, so my tiredness went directly into the post. I'm so sorry to hear you're feeling under the weather. I hope whatever you have will pass quickly as we start the new year! (And a happy 1st New Year's to Annie!)

      Delete

Happy to hear what you think...