Thursday, January 9, 2014

On Tentative Sewing Plans and Goals for 2014

I’m not one to set resolutions, but last year I did decide I would come up with a list of the sewing projects and goals for during the year. This wasn’t something I stuck to rigidly, as throughout the year I added patterns to my collection and sometimes I’d come across fabric I thought would be perfect for something I wasn’t even thinking about making soon. However, this does help me come up with some of the things I want to focus on.

Instead of writing down pattern numbers and then descriptions, I made a collage in order to avoid having to remember what pattern goes with what number. Starting from the top left (sorry these are somewhat hard to see)…

-Advance 5749. I’m already off to a good start! I started making the suspendered skirt last Thursday and as of today all it needs is hemming, hooks and eyes, and some final stitching on the suspender’s felled seams. I’m hoping to wear it tomorrow!

-McCall’s 3829. I’ve already made a gathered skirt from this, but what I really bought the pattern for was the blouse and the jacket. I’m also planning to make another skirt (which is probably my next project).

-Simplicity 4884. The bird skirt! Need I say more?

-Simplicity 3409. I have a pink wool blanket that’s waiting to be turned into the coat on the left.

-McCall’s 1948. I was planning to make this last year and even have fabric for it, but I think the 11 yards of bias tape was a big deterrent. Also it needs a lining and I wasn’t quite ready to try that yet.

-Simplicity 8447. Both the swing coat and the dress.

- McCall’s 8610. This is going to be my adventure in using lace…that’s all I’m going to say about it for now. ;)
-McCall’s 1651, Advance 5758, McCall’s 1817’s transfer design (inspiration). These are lumped together because they’ll all involve the same fabric or go together to make an outfit. I saw the picture of the doll with the fish skirt ages ago (I have no idea where) and instantly decided I wanted a fish skirt. Recently I came across a picture of the actual children’s pattern it was from and I’m planning to recreate the design from it. The blouse pattern I’ll be making to go with it and the fabric left over from it will go for the skirt of the dress.

-Anne Adams 4811. I need to learn how to do fitting adjustments, making this one a learning process project.

Things not on the collage:
-The Wearing History 1940’s overalls. I’m setting this as next month’s project goal.
-A petticoat (color: green). I just have to brace myself for a daunting 48 yards worth of gathering and then binding (so really that adds up to 96 yards of work).

And some techniques...
- Linings.

- French seams. A few of my patterns call for them, so I’ll be learning how to do them. From what I’ve researched so far they don’t look like they’ll be too difficult.

- Fitting. I need to work on learning how to fit things properly, since my perspective has been if my sewing doesn’t fit perfectly, it’s like buying it and just having to live with the size because there’s no other option. This year I’m really going to try to avoid thinking this way.  While most of my things fit, there were cases when I could have done things to make them fit better.

Phew! This was a lot longer than expected, but now that I've shared some of the things (yes, only some. I've been in ambicious mood lately), I definitely feel like I have a good idea of what I want to do. And now I'm off to finish my skirt!

2 comments:

  1. An adventure in lace you say? Now that is intriguing - and no doubt, will be gorgeous once complete. This is a full, exciting, very cool line of projects and I wish you nothing but the best with all of them, dear gal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an idea I'm hoping will turn out well and not have the oposite effect of making me want to tear my hair out, but nothing ventured nothing gained, right?

      Delete

Happy to hear what you think...