Tuesday, January 28, 2014

On “The Snow Child”: A Book Review


Title: The Snow Child
Author: Eowyn Ivey
Genre: Fiction

About the book…
Jack and Mabel are struggling to make through another winter in the Alaskan wilderness, one that will determine whether they stay or will return to the life they once knew. One night they build a little girl from snow; the next day all that is left is a pile of snow where it stood and the glimpse of blue moving through the trees.

What I think…
This is one of the best books I’ve read in the past few years and one I know I will be re-reading for years to come.

It is loosely based on the Russian fairy tale ‘The Snow Maiden’, which is what first got my attention (in addition the beautiful cover), and, while set in the Alaskan wilderness during the 1920’s, manages to capture the essence of it beautifully. From the first line you are instantly drawn into the inner world of the characters and how they feel about their surroundings, as well as how they relate to those surroundings.

It is a meandering story in the most delightful way possible, keeping the reader engaged and guessing. I love that for a good portion of the book there is a thin line between knowing what real and questioning if what is occurring is happening or if it is imagination giving way to the lonely and desolate setting.

Bittersweet at times, but like the meandering, in a good way, it makes me love this book all the more.

To sum it all up…
Dreamy, imaginative while being realistic, and beautifully written. This is an excellent choice if you’re looking for a book that’s a little fantastical, but not doused in magic.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like such an enchantingly lovely read. It's beautiful sometimes to still connect with fairy tale stories of this nature as an adult.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It most certainly is (my review really doesn't do it justice, I have got to stop writing posts when I'm tired). I love fairy tale retellings and stories that are loosely based off them and with so many badly written ones out there, I was more than delighted when I first read this one.

      Delete

Happy to hear what you think...