Friday, January 10, 2014

On a 1950’s Suspender Skirt

As I mentioned in yesterday’s post, my first project for this year was to make the suspender skirt from this pattern:
This was my first time making something from flannel (the print made me think of several fairy tales) and I found it to be an easy fabric to work with. For once, everything went almost entirely right in making this. I had just enough fabric to cut all the pieces with the exception of the facing for the straps, which I used black broadcloth for. The waist ended up being larger than expected, but unless you’re scrutinizing the construction it’s not noticeable and I’ll more than likely always wear it with a sweater.
A close up of the fabric and the waistband, which I adore.
The only bone I have to pick with this pattern is with the pocket, which is so shallow that you can’t possibly put anything in it without it immediately falling out. This, however, I think can be fixed with a few stitches to further close the pocket opening and make it a little deeper.
 
My hair stopped cooperating mid afternoon,
so I didn't try to fix it for the picture.
Overall, I’m really happy with the way it turned out and with a sweater, slip, and petticoat, I can wear it on a cooler day and be as snug as a bug in a rug.

3 comments:

  1. This is so, so pretty! I love classic 40s and 50s suspender skirts/dresses/jumpers, too. You really did a stellar job here, honey (beautiful styling, too).

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I wasn't sure how the large straps were going to look on me, but I was surprisingly pleased. Hopefully, there will be a few more to come. :)

      Delete
    2. Your fun charming suspender full-skirt outfit brings back a lot of fond memories for me. I adore the fabric you chose too. And red is such a good color on you. The
      photo of your waist band and waistline is very attractive! Wish your outfit was mine--- in my size. - Love, Norina

      Delete

Happy to hear what you think...