Friday, February 21, 2014

On What I Wore For Valentine’s Day

It’s a week late, but I still wanted to do a post on the skirt I made for Valentine’s Day. 

Much like my Christmas skirt, it was a last minute decision (a week before to be exact) to make a skirt I could wear for Valentine’s Day. I choose a Simplicity circle skirt pattern and then for a change I thought I’d try for a new type of fabric, which was much weightier than I was used to. Well, as beautiful as the fabric was and as quick as I was in getting the skirt constructed, it turned out to be too heavy for my petticoat and had too much of a drape to put the appliqués on and not have them get lost in the folds.

I was so determined to have a skirt in time for the holiday, I went and bought more fabric, black broadcloth this time, pulled out my go-to pattern Simplicity 3773 (used here, here, and here,—I’m sure everyone is getting tired of it by now), and started on skirt number two. This was Monday the 10th.

I finished the skirt quickly, went to try it on only to find it was a fraction of an inch too small, and I thought I could fix it easily. It was NOT easy to fix! Because I used a triple zig-zag stitch on the edge to prevent fraying, my attempt to sew a little further into the seam allowance meant the zig-zag stitching showed on the right side and, of course, I chose to use the other stitch that works pretty much the same way the stitch on a serger does, so ripping it out became a huge ordeal. By the time I got it unstitched (Thursday morning), I decided I would just completely replace the panel. I spent the entire day sewing and by the time I went to bed the skirt was ready to be worn for Valentine’s Day!

Paired with my red blouse I made in December, a sweater that has a retro look, my Valentine pin, and a red ribbon in my hair, I felt I had the perfect outfit for the day!
I really love how the appliqué hearts turned out and how the metallic thread looks. (sorry for the poor quality of these photos)



The only thing I didn’t get to finish in time was embroidering more arrows along the hem (I learned that metallic embroidery thread is not particularly fun to work with), but I had enough done for the day and will definitely be adding more later. And, despite making it specifically for Valentine’s, this is one skirt I’ll be wearing year round!

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness!! How sweet is this??? Love it to pieces, Inky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I was afraid this was going to be one of those projects where I'd want to love it, but wouldn't be able to because of all the problems in making it. However, I'm pleased to say that every time I look at it I love it a little bit more! :D

      Delete
  2. This is so tremendously charming! I love, love, love it, sweet dear!!! From the shape of the pockets to the awesome metallic thread (I'm sorry that it wasn't a blast to work with), it just incredible!!!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet comment! I think difficulty with metallic thread is just one of those unavoidable things because of its texture and the places I'm putting the arrows doesn't exactly allow for use of an embroidery hoop, but, all in all, I'm really glad I used it. :)

      Delete

Happy to hear what you think...