Saturday, March 22, 2014

On “Sew and Save”: A Book Review

 
Title: Sew and Save
Author: Joanna Chase
Genre: Non-Fiction, Sewing

About the book….
A 1941 sewing book that explores war time rationing, caring for your clothes, aspects of sewing including buying the fabric, supplies, making your own clothing and accessories, and even includes a very short chapter for knitting.

What I think…
I am so glad they created a reproduction of this marvelous book! This book is as enjoyable as it is practical and because of this, it is probably one of my favorite sewing books to read even if I’m not looking for something specific just because it’s so interesting (In fact, it’s the only sewing book that lives in the book pile next to my bed).

Some of my favorite things include the example four year plans they offer for war time wardrobe planning, the tips given for maintaining articles of clothing (anyone storing their silk stocking in air tight jars?), and the section on making use of old clothes.I like that it comes with pattern diagrams (the type where they show it on grids) for some of the things mentioned. There are also a small handful of images and diagrams, which I would not consider anything other than basic, but they are charming.

It is written in a manner that is direct, yet engaging, pointing out the necessities, reasoning, and importance for taking certain aspects of wardrobe into consideration, which can still be considered important today, especially for those of us who wear vintage.

To sum it all up…
You don’t have to sew to enjoy this book, it’s a great resource for details about the 1940’s and written in a light enough manner that you’ll find yourself picking it up and reading it for fun!

4 comments:

  1. I may have to add it to my 'to-read' list just for the info. I am always looking for more info to how my Grama's lived.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like learning about how my relatives lived through things like this as well. While I bought it specifically with sewing in mind, I really do use this book more for reference purposes most often than not.

      Delete
  2. This book sounds like it's right up my alley! Even though I'm not a sewer, I still love reading about the timeless art, especially when it's presented in a genuinely vintage context like this. Onto the Amazon wishlist it goes! :)

    Big hugs & tons of happy weekend wishes,
    ♥ Jessica

    *PS* Thank you very much for your wonderfully nice comment on yesterday's outfit post, honey. It's so cool that you have the same brooch. I found mine at, of all places, a military collectibles shop. I suspect (just a hunch) that the owner bought a lot of military pins from someone and that one just happened to be in there so he put it out on the floor in the hopes that a non-military collector would take a shining to it (as I did instantly).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to have brought it to your attention!

      That is a bizarre place to have found it. My brooch was from my grandmother who gave it to me when I was little. I think it was either to use as a dollhouse decoration (my dollhouse had some very unusual things in it) or as a Christmas present one year.

      Delete

Happy to hear what you think...