Monday, March 31, 2014

On Some Thoughts about Writing

This was not my intended post for today, but I’m in a contemplative mood, so I’m subjecting you to some of my random thoughts on writing.
 
 
I write a considerable amount and I have a lot of ideas. I do like to write piecemeal, though, and things don’t always get finished because I’m not in the right mood for whatever subject I happened to have chosen for a particular work or I’ve misplaced a piece of my story (when I say piecemeal, it also means writing on different pieces of paper not just working on it little by little). As proof of this, let me share with you my collection of in progress works: 5 or 6 poems, 5 short stories, and a handful of blog posts that I was trying to get done in advance, not to mention a few essays for a class I’m taking. Some are in a notebook, some are typed and saved on the computer, and part of one is on a post-it note. I’m not sure how I keep track of most of it, but I do.
 
Now, I’m not complaining about having so many things I want to write, after all, I write as a hobby and it is far better than having writer’s block, but it would be nice to actually get some things finished. However, when you have so many ideas it can feel like as much as you want to write that there simply is not enough time to actually get any writing done. When you reach this point, I feel like it’s time to take a step back or just pick something that’s in progress and write. It doesn’t have to be good (that’s what revision is for) or something that you're even going to keep as part of your story/poem, but you are accomplishing something and you might come up with something completely new that you never would have thought of otherwise.
 
This morning I was finally able to finish the section before the end, let’s call it the second middle section or the pre-end portion, of a story I started in October, and you know what? I suddenly feel like I have time to write after all and maybe finish a few other things as well. Does anyone else feel this way sometimes?

2 comments:

  1. Big time!!! I There is something so liberating about finally finishing (or making major headway on) one writing project/task that's been in the works for days, weeks or even months and suddenly feeling like a weight has been lifted of your shoulders.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very liberating and sometimes you don't even realize how much it's been weighing on you until you reach the finishing point. Oh, the joys of writing. :)

      Delete

Happy to hear what you think...