Monday, October 21, 2013

On "Miss Hargreaves": A Book Review


Title: Miss Hargreaves
Author: Frank Baker
Genre: Fiction

About the book…
Written in 1940 by Frank Baker, Miss Hargreaves tells a story of imagination becoming reality.  

Norman Huntley has a problem with making things up “on the Spur of the Moment” and it is on such an occasion Miss Hargreaves is invented. Little do he and his friend know when the joke is carried out so far as to write her a letter that they have invited her to show up on their doorstep and turn their town upside-down.

What I think…
I came across this book by accident and am so happy I did!

The plot while a slightly uneven at times, in my opinion, is filled with unexpected twists that keep it from being entirely predictable. This is further added to by the colorful array of characters who are as equally unpredictable with their odd mannerisms. From harp playing a parrot to sleep, boating in the middle of the night, being a disguised clergy, and making up fantastic tales of travel, among other things, there really is no end to what expect of Baker’s characters.

Miss Hargreaves also offers up the thought of how one would react to and handle a person created of their own mind showing up in person.  

To sum it all up…
Miss Hargreaves is a good book to read if you’re looking for just a touch of fantasy, a dose of eccentricity, and a whole lot of zaniness.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds so delightfully fun! It's not everyday that I read a book review which includes the word "zaniness", and I must say you've piqued my interest in this title just off that word alone. The notion of someone you dreamed up in your mind springing to life is both fanciful and philosophical, if you ask me, and while I'm not sure how I'd handle it myself, it certainly is interesting to ponder for a while.

    Have an awesome pre-Halloween weekend!
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hesitated in using that particular word, so that makes me glad I chose to do so. :) This book really did get me thinking about that and, like you, I'm really not sure how I'd handle it either. Interesting to think about, though!

      Delete

Happy to hear what you think...