Wednesday, November 20, 2013

On a Purple Skirt and a Matching Hat

I am happy to finally present the post I had intended for the 9th

Quite some time ago, I bought some wonderful fabric that I really liked for the color and texture (I have no idea as to what it might be; it’s kind of like canvas, but very soft.).

While I absolutely loved it, for some reason I chose to only get about two yards, which unfortunately made it really difficult for me to find a pattern that was in a style I liked and that would work with the fabric’s weight. However, during the summer I found Simplicity 4838:


And, while I did not buy it with the fabric in mind, it required the perfect amount of fabric for the skirt with a little bit left over!

Once I had completed the skirt, I thought why not give the hat pattern in Simplicity 4195 a try? So I did!
 
This was my first ever time making a hat and I must say that this pattern was much more simple than expected! It only involves three pieces: one for the brim and then two of the same for the crown. There was a decent amount of hand stitching involved, which was fine with me since I’m very comfortable in that area (actually, I almost prefer it sometimes, although not for big things). The entire hat is flat until the end when you tie it with the ribbon at the back. Overall, I was very happy with the results and will probably be making it again.
 
Now for the pictures…I paired it with a vintage sweater that showed up in my closet as I was cleaning last year (I joke that vintage fairies left it for me, since no one can remember where it came from). It isn't something I probably would have sought out for myself, but I absolutely adore it!!! 
 
Love the sleeves on this sweater!

6 comments:

  1. How adorable is this!! Love that hat! And I love finding treasures in the closet where I have no idea how they got there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! lf only closets were big enough to have an infinite amount in them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How thoroughly fantastic (and cute!) do you look? Oh my, how I love your new hat and skirt. I really like how you partnered these pretty pastel pieces with a dark sweater. I would have done the same thing during this time of the year, too. You really, really did a marvelous job on this matching hat + skirt combo!

    Happy early birthday wishes!
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love being able to mix pastels with darker colors this time of year! Ever since the sweater appeared I'd been wanting to have a skirt to match it and this turned out to be the most perfect fabric for it.Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a super cute hat! I saw your comment on a vintage nerd and came here to look, very cute blog and love the title!

    kate the old fashioned way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And thank you for stopping by, it's always nice to meet other bloggers!

      Delete

Happy to hear what you think...