Monday, June 2, 2014

On Joining the Vintage Playsuit Sew-Along

In case you haven't heard Stephanie at The Girl with the Star-Spangled Heart is hosting a vintage playsuit sew along and this is the month we start sewing them up!
http://star-spangledheart.blogspot.com/search/lable/VPSA
For mine I'm using a late 1940's pajama pattern and some tropical looking fabric I've been waiting to use for something fun. As you can see style III (the red one) looks much more like a playsuit than a pair of pajamas. 
 
So far I just have the top cut out. At this point, I'm not sure if I'll be doing the shorts in the same fabric as I only have a small amount left and can't get anymore or if I'll pick a solid color so I can wear them with other things too.
In addition to my 1940's playsuit, I'm also planning to attempt to turn this dress I wore in elementary school into one.
I've detached the bodice from the skirt already. Since the skirt was gathered it makes it really easy to fit it to my current size and all I need at this point is some fabric for the waistband (blue gingham or solid blue?) and to figure out what type of fastening I want to do. 

For the top, I'm going to need to add some darts to the front to make it more fitted. I would also like to cut into the back to give it a square shape instead of having it go up to my neck.

I'm not quite sure how this alteration will go, but I'm going to try my best to make it work and hopefully by the end of the month I'll have two playsuits!

4 comments:

  1. So far it looks great. I also love the print/fabric you chose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think what I like so much about this print is that it's tropical without being overly Hawaiian shirt tropical (if that makes sense).

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh, I love that you still have one of your childhood dresses and that you're going to revamp into a piece that you can now enjoy as an adult. That is just as sweet and fun as can! (Aside from one of my very first baby dresses and the hat I wore when I was a flower girl at my Aunt Lori's wedding, I don't have any of my childhood clothes any more - I wish I did, if only for the sake of nostalgia :)).

    Happy sewing, dear gal!
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was just one of those things that I didn't want to give up and kept thinking the cheerful fabric might be used for something else (skirt being the most prominent idea, even if not a gathered one). It didn't even occur to me until I started looking at playsuit patterns that I could attempt to fit the top as well or that the skirt part would be easy to fit. :)

      That's so sweet that you still have those!

      Delete

Happy to hear what you think...