Monday, June 30, 2014

On My 1940's Playsuit!

I finished my 1940's playsuit for The Girl With the Star-Spangled Heart vintage playsuit sew along!

First, some technical details, which were going to get their own post, but didn't.

The initial sewing of the top went well...until I tried it on and realized that if I intended to move at all while wearing it there would be issues of exposing myself. Oops!      
As I certainly didn't want that, I added a contrasting strip of the fabric I was using for the shorts along the bottom, the problem was averted, and no eyes will have to be averted when I wear it.

For the shorts I decided to give underling a try, meaning you sew two layers of fabric together and then treat them as one piece. I was pleasantly surprised with how well this went. I also made a few adjustments to the pattern.
Layers basted together and partially sewn.

First, I added an inseam pocket because I like having pockets and since these shorts aren't super fitted I thought it'd be silly not to add one.

I also changed the side closure from snaps to buttons. In doing this I realized I had misunderstood the directions on my favorite skirt pattern for a side closure, not once, but twice. As they say, though, third time's the charm, so from now on my button closures will be done properly.
Buttons and front pleats.
I think the overall length of these could have been shortened about another inch. Had I done a muslin I could have caught this and adjusted the pattern, but like with the top I just jumped right in. In either case, though, while it's frustrating that I knew what to do to fix both issues, they are things I can live with.

Anyway, now for the pictures of the completed playsuit!    
Last night I pin curled my hair, which I haven't done for about a year and a half due to my hair being on the longer side and am decidedly pleased with the results. My hair always holds the curl really well without hairspray, so I'm not sure why I don't style it this way more often. I stuck a comb in one side, pinned the other side back, and got what I consider to be the perfect quick 1940's hairstyle.

And here's the back, where you can see how the top is almost even with the shorts. The back of the shorts seems to be prone to ballooning a little (not apparent in this photo, thank goodness), so I might add pockets to combat this or just wait to see if the fabric softens with more washing.  

While I'm not sure this look is entirely flattering on me (eh-hem, pleated shorts that means you), this outfit will be perfect for hanging around the house this summer! Stay tuned to see how my attempt to turn my childhood dress into a playsuit turns out!

2 comments:

  1. Really, really lovely playsuit! I think the length (of the shorts) and overall silhouette are both very becoming and the vibrant, cheerful colour palette works fabulously on you as well. This is a total sewing win in my books.

    Happy start of July, my dear friend!
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your wonderfully lovely comment! After wearing it for a full day, I definitely came to like it a lot more than I thought I would and despite my initial impression that I'd only wear it on occasion, I can see myself wearing it more often. :)

      Delete

Happy to hear what you think...