Thursday, July 10, 2014

On a Visit to the Antique Store

Well, this morning I started a post on the new dress I’m making, but I stopped by the antique store on my way home from buying a zipper and I’m so excited with my finds that I’m going to share them instead.

First I found this straw bag, which I had a great debate with myself about getting based on its size, the question of what I would wear it with, and that it had handles instead of straps.
I did make a beeline to it when I saw it, though, so after carrying around the store with me for the entirety of my shopping excursion I ended up getting it. The more I stare at it the happier I am I got it.   

After finding the bag I started looking at the clothing racks and found this skirt. It’s charming ric-rac, the ruffle at the bottom, and the tie at the waist instantly appealed to me, as did the price tag of $12.


The back. I love the tie and the zipper, which weirdly has a piece of fabric between the zipper and the piece that slides.

I’m not entirely sure how old it is. The seams are pinked, it has a metal zipper, the ric-rac is decidedly older, and the smell of the fabric when I washed it was definitely that of older fabric (I know this sounds weird, but older fabric does have a different smell). The zipper does have a facing that’s been serged (not that this is always entirely reliable) and it has an “of California” label, so I’m guessing it was made some time between the 50’s and 70’s. 

And finally, I found this hat! Out of all three things I found this is probably my favorite. 

About a year ago I got a pattern and I immediately decided when I got around to making it I was going to make a blue dress and that I had to have a red hat just like the picture on the envelop.
While this hat isn’t the perfect match, it’s pretty close and as far as I’m concerned it will be referred to as my pattern hat. Like the skirt, it was a great deal for $14. 

Overall, I feel I had a very successful shopping trip and found some great bargains! Has anyone else found anything fun lately?

4 comments:

  1. how cool is that? i've never been so lucky to find something to match an add or pattern. and i think i have three or four straw bags. i don't use them a lot, but i do love them. strange enough my uncle is the one who bought me two of them. so i'll blame him for my addictions. haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first time I've found anything remotely similar (although I did get a mail order pattern, which came wrapped in the catalog page it was on and on the back was another pattern I had) and am super excited about it. That's funny about the straw bags. Most are so pretty it's hard not to love them.

      Delete
  2. Seriously awesome finds!!! I love each and every one of them, very much including that darling straw bag. The colour on it are so fun and cheerful! It will be a lot of fun to put together outfits that pull from certain hues in the bag.

    Love the classic shape and style of that red hat, which is a super versatile piece, if you ask me. Red is very nearly a neutral in my books and goes with so many different outfits the whole year round.

    Congratulations on such a successful day of vintage shopping, sweet dear!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finding the bag was perfect timing since I just finished a dress (to be seen soon) that's skirt portion is the exact color of turquoise on the bag! It really does have the perfect color combo!

      Delete

Happy to hear what you think...