Friday, December 19, 2014

On Making Pom-Pom Reindeer and Polar Bear Ornaments: A Tutorial

 
It's time for this year's ornament tutorial! This year I was inspired by several older reindeer head ornaments that we have among our decorations and thought this would be a great ornament to recreate both in reindeer and polar bear form. These are quick, simple, and really easy craft for all ages, not to mention fun!

To make these you will need:
  • Felt
  • 1 inch pom-poms (3 per ornament)
  • 1/2 inch pom-poms (1 per ornament)
  • 1/8 inch ribbon or pre-made bows
  • Googly eyes or small beads 
  • Gold or silver cord (about 6 inches)
  • Reindeer antler or polar bear ear template (see step 2)
How to make them:

1. Take two of the 1 in. pom-poms and glue them together. Carefully glue the third one on top and in the middle of them. Let dry for a few minutes and then glue 1/2 inch pom-pom onto middle one for the nose.


2. Cut out the reindeer antler or polar bear ear template and use it to cut out your felt.
3. Place a generous amount of glue on the portion of the felt you'll be attaching to the pom-poms.

4. Fold your piece of cord in half and place ends in glue. Put one more drop of glue on top of the ends.

5. Now place your pom-pom pieces on the felt. 
I didn't get a pic of this step when I made my ornaments, so pretend the cord is there.
6. Tie your ribbon into a bow and glue on to the bottom pom-pom. Glue on googly eyes/beads. 

7. Let dry. 

8. Hang on your tree and enjoy!   
For previous ornament tutorials, be sure to check out the Tutorials page! 

3 comments:

  1. *Squeals* Oh my goodness, these are epicly adorable!!! What an awesome, easy to make, uber cute holiday season craft. The Canadian in me also really likes that you could forgo the festive attire and red nose if you wanted to create wildlife (including moose) decorations that could be kept up all year long (say, hanging from the edge of a square mirror or picture frame).

    Thanks for sharing this darling idea, sweet gal!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had thought about that as I was making them (the polar bear actually started out as a white deer). They're so simple that you could make any number of animals, such as a cat or rabbit (which would be cute for Easter!), with a change to the color of pom-pom or the way you cut the ears!

      Delete
  2. Oh, you make all your wonderful crafts look so easy, but even I think I can do this one. LOL! Not a real crafty person. In my mind I am, but in reality, I'm not at all.

    ReplyDelete

Happy to hear what you think...