Tuesday, September 13, 2016

On a Happy Roald Dahl Day!

Happy Roald Dahl day everyone! Today would have marked the 100th birthday of this author of both adult stories and whimsical children’s books.

To celebrate, this week at work we’re doing a Roald Dahl craft with the option of making a collage postcard for either James and the Giant Peach or Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.   


I had also really wanted to decorate the area craft time is held in and at some point during the past two weeks I got it into my head that I wanted to hang paper seagulls from the ceiling and have them attached to a giant paper peach. Then last Thursday I thought “why not recreate my postcard design on a larger scale?” and that’s what I did!

I cut out large newspaper buildings to represent New York and colored them, this was followed by cutting out a giant peach, and then went to work on sketching a pattern, cutting out, coloring, and gluing beaks on my seagulls.

Friday it all went on the wall and we have our very own James and the Giant Peach wall in the back corner of the children’s area!


The magically suspended seagulls are being held in place by invisible thread and push pins. Invisible thread, being pretty near actual invisibility, is terrible to work with, but very much worth the effort when you’re done!



While it has never been at the top of my list as a favorite Dahl book, I think James and the Giant Peach has moved up in the ranks a bit after this.

What are some of your favorite Dahl books or stories?

(First three photos by me, last one by my co-worker)

2 comments:

  1. What an absolutely beautiful - and wonderfully creative - display.

    We just happened to flick on the TV (on our first night there, if memory serves me right) in Edmonton and the classic Gene Wilder version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was on. Neither of us had seen it in many years, so in honour of Mr. Wilder's recent passing, we watched and delighted in the zaniness of that film.

    Big hugs,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it was fun to put it together!

      I love the original version of that movie, Wilder was absolutely perfect for the part of Wonka. :)

      Delete

Happy to hear what you think...