Saturday, October 24, 2020

On a 60's Secretary Skirt

Or at least that's what I'm referring to it as. 

Finding that over the past eight months that most of my clothes have become too big for me, one of the go to items in my closet has become one of the very first items I made from a vintage pattern in 2009 or 2010, a drawstring  polk-a-dot skirt from the 1968's McCall's pattern 9398 (which while I've certainly thought about it, I'm now realizing has never made an appearance on this blog). Last month it occurred to me that given how often I was wearing this skirt, I might want to make a few more.  

Given that I've hardly sewn anything with knit since I first started sewing clothes, I was excited to see what I'd find in the flat folds section of the outlet fabric store I frequent and ended up with what I deemed two very 1960's appropriate fabrics. This one is a synthetic, which I try to avoid, but the texture was so perfect I couldn't resist it!

There's nothing fancy about this pattern, it's just two basic rectangles sewn at the side seams with a folded over top to create a casing for a drawstring, two holes for the drawstring, and a hem. I decided to forgo the fabric drawstring and substituted a ribbon. 

Because I have extra fabric, I'm thinking of eventually making the coat from this 1967 pattern and spent some time trying to figure out if I had enough fabric left to do so.  

Since I'll need to grade down the pattern to a smaller size and will also need some fabric for lining and the collar (leaning towards white with large red polk-a-dots!), it probably won't be for awhile. 
 
Meanwhile, I think it pairs perfectly with my black bolero, white t-shirt, and the sunglasses that were my grandma's to give a perfect 60's look! 

And for an October extra, since I'm trying to be better about remembering to take pictures of them, my spiderweb brooch! 

♥️ ♥️ ♥️

2 comments:

  1. That is such a lovely, classic skirt. It definitely has a secretary/working woman vibe - a bit Mad Man, a bit Mary Tyler Moore, wholly timeless + beautiful.

    Autumn Zenith 🧡 Witchcrafted Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you! It's funny you should mention Mary Tyler Moore as I had it on while I was finishing up with the casing and the ribbon!

      Delete

Happy to hear what you think...