Tuesday, December 14, 2021

On Making Angels 1960's Style

A couple of months ago I was digging through the garage for something and found a handful of  craft magazines mixed in with some old kid's magazines. The oldest of the bunch was "Fun with Craft Sticks" from 1966.

1966 Fun With Craft Sticks craft magazine.
It has a few different Christmas crafts in it, the one that appealed to me though, were the popsicle stick angels that appear on the cover (as opposed to the one ladened with decoupage daisies and marbles). As usual, I made adjustments and used balsa wood for the head rather than a bead and felt for the hair instead of plastic wood. Hard to see in the picture, I bent gold paper clips to make the halos.

Angels made from popscicle sticks with gold paper wings.
Jokingly, I've been referring to them as The Supremes!

Ultimately, I think I'd like to get them on strips of green and pink ribbon to hang in rows on the wall for an extra 60's touch! 

Moving on, I also pulled out my 1964 Christmas Magic by Margaret Perry, this time to make angels. The pattern in the book, as with last year's donkey, is actually to make an aluminum candle holder, but I used heavier weight metallic paper and decided to hang them from the ceiling. I also copied and sized down the pattern to make slightly smaller ones. Sorry for the not so great picture, the heater makes them move!

Angels made from paper hanging from the ceiling.

 And thus you have the beginning of my Christmas crafting. Stay tuned for the next round!

4 comments:

  1. Aww! What a delightful, adorable, and thoroughly festive group of angels you've created. They're really sweet!

    Autumn Zenith 🧡 Witchcrafted Life

    PS: I can't help thinking how easy it would be to alter the popsicle stick angels a tad to create a fairy version of these cuties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds think alike! I was mentally going through and thinking of what other creatures they might be altered to be!

      Delete
  2. Aww they’re so cute!! Love their flippy 60s hair ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Haha, being a 60's craft they just had to have the flippy hair (I was jokingly referring to the one as the Mary Tyler Moore angel :p).

      Delete

Happy to hear what you think...