Tuesday, November 1, 2022

On a Spidery Capelet!

This is going to be the first of several "things I made last year, but never shared on the blog" posts. 

In the case of this project, I made it last October and then toward the end of the month the weather was too warm to wear it and I never managed to get a picture of me in it.


Anyway,  last year I gave into a childish whim and bought glow-in-the-dark spider web flannel. I wasn't entirely sure what to do with it, but I bought enough that I would have a few options and ultimately decided on a capelet.  

It was made using the same self drafted pattern I made my penguin capelet from in 2018, though clearly minus the hood. I definitely wanted it lined as I don't always like the feeling of flannel, so I went with black cotton.

While it's a thin flannel, I wanted to avoid bulk on the edges, so rather than bagging it out, I went with the option of using bias tape around the edge. I wasn't sure if I wanted white or gray, but then I came across some metallic binding while I was browsing at the fabric store and decided that it would give it an extra special touch to have a bit of shinny! Having been a year, I can't remember the exact details as to why, but I'm pretty sure it was less expensive to buy a wider width (possibly blanket binding even), so I bought that, then cut it in half, refolded the edge, and ironed it back to get a narrower width. As can be seen it turned out pretty well!

Overall, minus all the time spent on attaching and hand-stitching the binding on, this was a pretty straightforward project! ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy to hear what you think...