Tuesday, July 9, 2013

On Some Sewing Ideas

Over the weekend I did a bit of fabric shopping and among what I came home with was this very cheerful bird fabric.

When I picked it up nothing immediately came to mind as to what I might use it for, but it reminded me of something Mary Blair (LOVE her concept art!!) would have drawn and that was enough to make me want some. I became even happier when I realized it was a Robert Kaufman print because I absolutely adore their fabric designs (I’ve curtains, several bags, a few pillows, and at least two dresses made with prints by them, just to give you an idea as to how much).  Now after a few days I’m beginning to have some ideas and I’d be happy to know what you lovely readers think.

First off, the print is a bit large. As you can see from my picture, the bigger birds are about 5 inches, which for me rules out using it on a bodice because it would look funny. I briefly contemplated using it for a gathered skirt, but realized even with a petticoat the print would be too gathered for it look good. Using a skirt pattern with too many panels was also out due to the fact the print would be broken up by so many seams. Then I thought of this 1950’s dress/jumper pattern!

The skirt is made up of four panels, fortunately with a cutting layout that would place the birds flying straight across and keep the correct drape. Because I really don’t want any half birds flying into/out of seams, I thought it might be fun if I took fairly skinny ribbon in the three colors of the birds, picked two to sew over the four seams to make them less noticeable and then used the third color ribbon for a belt. As for the top I’d like to find a bright blue, to match a light weight blue material that I think would look nice sewn along the bottom edge (so it looks like another layer was underneath, not as a strip of binding).

So what do you think? Does this print look enough like a 1950’s novelty print that it will work for this dress? Do you think my ideas might work out or do you think it will make the outfit look too childish?

4 comments:

  1. Love it!!! Between the punchy hues and the darling birds, this has 1950s novelty print written all over it. I say go for it! Use it for this dress, I bet it will look super cute (but not in an overtly childish was at all - just really feminine, fun and youthful).

    Thank you so much for the joyful birthday wishes, honey - I hope you have a fantastic Wednesday!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm so glad you agree it looks like a 50's novelty print! I was starting to think it might just be me wanting it to look that way so much that that's what I was seeing in it. :D

      Delete
  2. I have an idea, it's not as thought out as yours, not hard to believe because I'm new to sewing. But what if you just lay out all the panels and cut it into a circle skirt without panels?? I definitely think it is perfect for a 50s style project. Post-war was full of lovely novelty prints.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great idea, but I'm not quite sure my panel of fabric is large enough and I don't think it'd give quite as much control over the direction of the print as I'd like (trying to avoid sideways birds :p)...definitely worth looking into, though!

      Delete

Happy to hear what you think...