Monday, July 22, 2013

On “The Fairy Tale of My Life”: A Book Review



About the book…
The Fairy Tale of My Life is the autobiography of Hans Christian Andersen covering from 1805 to 1867.

What I think…
While I consider Andersen to be my favorite of the fairy tale writers and collectors, I am sorry to say I did not take equal enjoyment in reading his autobiography.

The first portions of the book relating to his childhood and early travels, I found to be the most interesting. In several instances he mentions events that can be seen as inspirations for his stories, including "The Snow Queen" and "The Red Shoes", which were quite fun to read about. I also learned just how much he was devoted to and involved in writing for the theatre.

In later portions, however, the book becomes very rambling. His accounts of travels become filled with the people he meets and the history of their travels as well as the history of their travelling companions. Had I perhaps a better knowledge of the people during this time period (especially in the area of theatre) this may have been less dull, although I did like reading about some his encounters among them the Grimms’ (Jacob had no idea who he was when they first met), Jenny Lind, and Charles Dickens. Much time is also, and understandably, devoted to discussing his ill health and how it was affected by the various climates of the different places he visited.

To sum it all up…
This book is probably better suited for someone who knows a great deal of European history of the time, especially in the areas of art and the theatre, or for someone who would like to know H.C. Andersen’s thoughts on life in great detail. Despite not enjoying it, though, in no way did this book change my fascination with his fairy tales.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a thoroughly fascinating book to me - I'm going to add it to me "see if the library has it/can bring it in" list immediately. Thank you very much for the introduction and lovely review, dear Inky.

    How interesting the he spent time with Dickens, I don't believe I knew that. Even though they often wrote markedly different tales, I'd imagine that the two must have shared much in common.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to have brought it to your attention!

      From Andersen's side of things it seems as though he and Dickens got along rather well (although I have read several other places that Andersen overstayed his welcome on a trip and somewhat ruined this relationship). If I remember correctly, Andersen even dedicated a few of his writings to Dickens.

      Delete

Happy to hear what you think...