Friday, August 2, 2013

On Five 1950’s Things I Love

In honor of this being my 50th blog post, I thought it’d be fun to look at five 1950’s things I love.

1. To Catch a Thief
Made in 1955, To Catch a Thief is in my top favorite movies from this decade. With Cary Grant, Grace Kelly, an engaging plot, an interesting setting, and beautiful costuming, there’s nothing I dislike about this movie!

Earlier this year I also read the book it was based on, written in 1952 by David Dodge, and found it to be equally as good.

2. Sewing Boxes
I really like the accordion sewing boxes of the 1950’s. They’re well made and hold a lot of supplies. They also double as a small table if you don’t constantly use the supplies they are holding.

3. My Favorite Building!
Built and opened in the early 50’s, this wonderful building’s large window and all the natural light are two of the many things I love about it!
 
50's wall clock!
4. The Modern Household Encyclopedia
Having quite a few 1950’s books that I adore, I must admit I had a really difficult time choosing which one to put on this list (Beauty course book? Home decorating? High school English textbook? Which one?!?). However, this book published in 1955 won out because it lives in the pile next to my bed.


The Modern Household Encyclopedia, while thin, really seems to have it all, ranging from cooking tips to locating your slippers in the dark (phosphorescent buttons, just in case you were wondering-see photo below).
(click to enlarge)
It’s great fun to flip through because you never quite know if you’ll end up reading a definition or a how-to.
A page with both good advice and questionable advice
(click to enlarge)
Lovely idea for hanging hats in the car!
(click to enlarge)
5. Constance Depler’s “Bar Hounds”
Constance Depler was known for her artwork in the 50’s and this is one of my favorites of hers!


While my list could probably go on and on forever, and is indeed missing a few of my most favorite things (I didn't even touch on clothes or sewing patterns!), these were some of the things that quickly came to mind that give me great pleasure in regards to the 1950’s and seem to be the perfect way to celebrate my 50th post!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome way to celebrate your 50th post! I love sewing boxes like that so much, too. Earlier this year I lucked out and found one for just $2.00 at yard sale. I was in need of more costume jewelry storage, so I lined the compartments and am now using to store some of my fave accessories.

    Big hugs & joyful weekend wishes,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great way to use it! Mine tends to be my storage space for buttons, zippers, and a few weird sewing tools I don't use often (also, a set of vintage coasters that I can't seem to remember why I put there).

      Delete

Happy to hear what you think...