Friday, May 13, 2016

On One Groovy Owl Chick

This is a dress that took forever to finish despite its simplicity! I attempted to finish it last summer, but ran into a slight fitting issue and had a limited amount of time to work on it (despite picking it because I thought it’d be quick and easy). Then it became hot and really, really, really humid…stick to your clothes, feels like you’re living in a microwave, sort of humid. Then once the humidly was gone, it got even hotter, so the tights, which I was adamant I was going to wear with it, weren’t an option. I also kept putting off the hem. As of last month, though, it’s finished and wearable!

My 60’s and 70’s patterns consist of an odd assortment of sizes all contained in a shoebox, so contrary to my usual practice, I bought the fabric first and then went in search of the pattern. I ended up with Simplicity’s “Jiffy dress” 7071. 

My only problem making it was a gapping back. Unlike the 1940's overalls which had the same problem, I wanted to avoid darts because they’d disrupt the print. After numerous attempts, I managed to get the right amount of elastic and it fits snugly against my back.

Lime green hem binding!

For my hair I had intended to go with a no tease beehive, but since it has a mind of its own, I pulled a small section back with green yarn and then later I ended up wearing this semi twist roll and headband hairstyle that I’m actually liking. 

While I don’t normally go the 60’s and 70’s route with my sewing, I’m loving this dress! Plus it matches the purse I made in January!

Outfit Details
Dress- Me made
Belt- Me made
Tights- Legs Avenue
Sunglasses- My grandma :)

2 comments:

  1. So splendidly cute! Those owls are just the most darling things! I love owls so much and recently bought some rather similar looking (to this print, I mean) paper napkins to use for my next birthday.

    Very cute pairing of fuschia tights with this dress. I adore the whole outfit and think it looks awesome on you, sweet Inky.

    Tons of hugs & happy tail end of May wishes,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really feel like this is the fabric that just keeps giving. :) Owl napkins sound delightful!

      Delete

Happy to hear what you think...