Sunday, April 12, 2020

On Decorative Eggs for Easter

About a week ago I pulled out my 1973 copy of Easter Eggs for Everyone. This book is a mixed bag of history and cultural practices, methodologies for coloring eggs (the crepe paper idea is intriguing), a lot of suggestions on how to decorate them, and a section devoted to Easter egg games. 


Some of the suggestions given are more interesting, such as the Golden Eggs for the "mature egg crafter" who wants to glue pasta and seeds to their egg shells and then paint them. 


It also takes the very retro approach of making pigs, which are "fun to make and attractive to busy mothers who dislike the mess so often associated with Easter Eggs" by putting pieces of gumdrops into a hard-boiled egg. Along the same lines, are instructions for making miniature vases and candle using emptied eggshells.   

Other fun ideas consist of a Hawaiian Hula Dancer Egg Head and Moon Men and Maidens!




After perusing the pages awhile, I settled on being inspired by this book's ideas for animal eggs and made a lion, a rabbit, and a German inspired egg bird. Rather than use real eggs, I pulled out my childhood plastic egg supply, which having dwindled to a considerable number of mismatch-y colors has made it perfect for crafting, and used hot glue to attach the various paper bits and the rabbit's pom-pom tail. 

I didn't use the instructions in the book, although under normal circumstances I would have actually liked to have tried making the rabbit using powder puffs for the ears and feet as they suggest. At a later date, I might have to have a rabbit making craft day!   



And to end this post, here is a picture of Mrs. Muzzlesworth my aged styrofoam egg bunny that belonged to my grandma.



Hope everyone has a safe and happy Easter! 
♥️ 🐇 ♥️     

2 comments:

  1. What a cool looking book! I managed to draw a Nancy Drew silhouette on an egg that actually looked decent! I used a brown egg dyed in blue hoping for a tweedy look but it turned out a little more greenish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a fun idea for an egg design! Haha, there's something about trying to get the right color combo on an egg and almost always having it be slightly off.

      Delete

Happy to hear what you think...