Wednesday, March 2, 2016

On a Happy Birthday to Dr. Seuss!

...and not one, but two outfits and a bag to celebrate!

Last year to celebrate Dr. Seuss’ birthday I had plans to make a skirt with a fabric printed with the goldfish from The Cat in the Hat (first discovered when making a book cart cozy with Oh, the Places You’ll Go! fabric), but it didn’t happen. Fast-forward to the last two months and as I’m preparing to actually make the skirt, I get bitten by a Dr. Seuss fabric bug.

I go to buy fabric for a bag lining and I end up with half yards of two more The Cat in the Hat prints with plans to make a bag. Buying underlining for the hem of my goldfish skirt, they have fabric with the Cat on it. After a night of considering, I decide clearly I was meant to make a blouse and I go back to get some. And guess what? I actually got all three items done in time!

The goldfish skirt is made from my most favorite Simplicity 3773 and I wore it yesterday. First, I must say I will never be doing scallops on a hem of this measurement again! Ever! It took me over an hour to get them cut out, since I accidentally put four per skirt panel instead of my planned three (why it’s bad to sew when you’re tired, but at least it was a mistake that looks good!). Then the underling took me three hours to get positioned and sewn on by hand. With the exception of forgetting to put interfacing in the waistband, everything else went smoothly.



Next is the bag. I drafted the pattern myself and opted to use both of the fabrics. The strap I topped with two ribbons.

The blouse was super quick to make (made last night, in fact), since all it required was stitching up the shoulder and side seams, hemming the bottom and sleeves, and folding over the top to make a casing to slip ribbon into. I cinched it as the waist with the bow belt from my favorite dress (conveniently with only one bow end, much like the Cat’s bow tie). 
Version 3


I also made a button this morning as a finishing touch.

Happy birthday to Dr. Seuss!!!
This cat will absolutely not wear a hat. Not in a house, not with a mouse...
      

4 comments:

  1. That shirt is super cute!! It would take me several years to make all that haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Haha, I'm still in some disbelief that I managed to get all done so quickly.

      Delete
  2. Fantastic creations! You look so cute and happy. Dr. Seuss is the best. "Oh The Places You'll Go" still inspires me to this day.

    Tons of hugs,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That last picture took quite some effort to take thanks to the squirming furry grouch. :p

      Delete

Happy to hear what you think...