Monday, May 21, 2018

On Turning My Jeans into Bell-Bottoms

Usually I am quite happy to let my jeans develop holes in the knees, but on a rare occasion I decide that I would much rather alter my jeans (this once resulted in monster faces on the knees, but I promise today's post is much more normal). 

This particular pair was in fairly good shape, with the exception of one knee, and as these jeans actually fit me, I really wanted to find some way to freshen them up. My solution was to replace the leg section that fell below the knee and make them into bell-bottoms. 
Front
Back

While originally I choose a floral, when I saw this fabric I knew that I'd regret it if I didn't buy it instead and while it might not really match the prints you'd see on 60's and 70's jeans, it still definitely looks dated.   



There's not much to say about the construction of these as everything was pretty basic. I cut out the pieces making sure the back piece was cut slightly wider, sewed them together at the side seams, top-stitched them on the inside seam to match the top-stitching on the jeans, and then turned them inside out to attach it to the upper leg of the jeans. I also lined them with what has to be the softest quilting cotton I've ever bought. 
 As a final touch with the leftover fabric I made a matching hair scarf, which is just barely visible in the photo!  
♥️ ♥️ ♥️  
 

2 comments:

  1. Nicely done! I remember doing this when I was in high school, lo these many years ago (ha ha ha)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I had fun with it! Haha, one of my coworkers had a similar response to them. :)

      Delete

Happy to hear what you think...